OCID is calling a Board Meeting on June 6th at 5:30PM, at the Town of Orchard City Community Room, to discuss Potential Allocation Changes and anything else that comes before the board. 

In the mean time you should check out the water ordering form HERE!

Keep checking back for updates and sign up to receive email updates, use the "contact us" form to sign up today!


Frequently Asked Questions

How can I contact Orchard City Irrigation District (OCID)?

You can contact OCID any of the following ways:

What do the terms spill and off spill mean in relation to Fruitgrowers Reservoir?

The Fruitgrower’s Reservoir stores water for downstream delivery to all landowners in the Orchard City Irrigation District (OCID). Its capacity is approximately 3,740 acre feet. At a level of 4,150 acre feet, to prevent the dam from overflowing, excess water spills out of the reservoir via a concrete channel (spillway) downstream into what is called Alfalfa Run. Particularly early in the year (March-May) the reservoir may fill, spill, refill and spill several times as snow melt ebbs and flows.

With that as background, each member of OCID is entitled to a certain amount of water stored in the reservoir. Water that a member may have in the reservoir is, on paper, placed in a "water account." Water that an OCID members takes from the reservoir is debited against that landowner’s account balance. However, when water is overflowing out of the reservoir (spilling) any water that an OCID member uses while the reservoir is spilling (not to exceed seven consecutive days) is not debited or charged against that member’s account. Moreover, each time the reservoir spills, each OCID member’s water account is restored to the full amount of that member’s allocation. When the reservoir stops spilling water, its condition is deemed off spill. Any OCID water used by the OCID member during off spill is charged against that member’s account. However, if the reservoir again overflows (spills) any water that an OCID member used during the off spill period is removed as a charge against the member’s water account.

Important Reminders:

  1. If as in the drought year of 2021, Fruitgrower’s Reservoir never reaches its capacity (it did not spill) the OCID member only was entitled to whatever water is allocated to each landowner.
  2. If the reservoir changes from a spill to a off spill status during the actual delivery of a member’s water, water delivered to that member after off spill is charged against the landowner’s account.

When is water available for order?

The water ordering period for each irrigation season is different and is dependent upon several factors including the amount of precipitation received on the Grand Mesa the previous winter. Typically, in the March timeframe, the OCID Board of Directors will communicate with landowners about when water order taking will begin and discuss the initial water allocation process.

Does my neighbor have the right to enter my property to access the irrigation ditch that runs through my property?

Yes, if your neighbor uses the ditch to deliver water to his/her property, he/she has a right-of-access to enter with the equipment needed to maintain or repair the ditch. Irrigators frequently check ditches upstream to see how they are flowing, clear debris from the ditch, or adjust flows at measuring structures that may be on your land. (Irrigation Ditches and their Operation - 6.701. Colorado State University Extension. (2020, August 24).

Can I buy or sell OCID water?

OCID water is tied to the land. Therefore, it is not possible to buy or sell OCID from the land to which it is tied. An OCID landowner may lease their OCID water, in OCID acres, to another OCID landowner for a given water season. The negotiation of the lease amount is between the landowners, and OCID must be notified of the lease agreement through an OCID water assignment form.

How do I determine my headgate?

If you are unsure of your headgate number, you should try to locate your headgate by determining where your lateral ditch intersects the main service ditch. When you find this location, the headgate should have a number painted on it. You can also ask a neighbor whose water is delivered on the same lateral ditch what headgate they provide when ordering water. Finally, if the headgate cannot be determined with this process, you can contact your ditch rider by calling 970-835-3168 outside of water ordering times.

What are common water conversion rates?

  • 1 acre-foot covers 1 acre of land 1 foot deep
  • 1 acre-foot = 43,560 cubic feet
  • 1 cubic foot = 7.5 gallons
  • 1 gallon = 8.32 pounds
  • 1 cubic foot per second (cfs) = 450 gal/min
  • 1 (cfs) flow for 24 hours = 2 acre-feet
  • 1 acre foot = 325,900 gallons
  • 1 acre foot supplies a family of 5 for 1 year (27,158 gallons per month)